Question:
Is it customary to tip on take out food orders in the usa?
jbrw77
2005-12-30 21:36:42 UTC
Is it customary to tip on take out food orders in the usa?
Nine answers:
Maxine
2005-12-30 21:55:59 UTC
Usually no, though on rare occasions customers say "keep the change" which would be considered a tip for the cashier. In this case, it's your own personal choice whether to tip or not.
dallas
2006-01-01 19:53:27 UTC
I don't know if it is customary, but it is the polite thing to do. Someone has to put together your order, and it's probably taking them away from customers who are eating/drinking there -- and tipping!
seriousquestions
2006-01-06 23:46:25 UTC
If the food is delivered to your home, you should definetley tip. If you are at a restaraunt of any kind other than a fast food place(McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell, ect) you should tip about 10 percent or so- not as much as if you were sitting there to eat.
cran
2005-12-31 09:08:11 UTC
I never do. Tipping is usually based on the service that you get sitting down. i.e. water refills, clearing the table, taking the order or making recommendations, bringing out the food.

I hate how there is usually the tip line on the credit card slip when you get to-go. I never feel obligated to tip.
sparrowszealot
2005-12-31 05:40:09 UTC
I have never done it. I have never seen anyone tip on that before. The only time I tip on food is if I am being served by a waiter.
traderbobday
2006-01-05 11:43:04 UTC
Fast food-no

Otherwise yes
Susan
2006-01-01 03:57:47 UTC
Tipping is not necessary unless you have received extra special service or perhaps it would lift the spirits of the worker if things are really wild -- the "keep the change" model is always welcome.
ttoommaa
2005-12-31 05:46:12 UTC
I've never seen or heard of anyone doing it.
puddles kid
2005-12-31 05:40:29 UTC
yes you should. if everything was to your satisfaction.